Sunday, March 14, 2010

Morning In The Garden

Daylight Saving Time couldn't have begun any more beautifully than it did for us here in Seattle this morning. I was up at 7:30 PDT, while Tom indulged his biological clock and slept in until 7:30 Standard Time. I went on line to read blogs, and it wasn't until about 9:00 that I made the trek down the driveway and out to the street to get the newspaper. The sun was shining, and birds were singing, and otherwise it was about as quiet as it can be in a large metropolitan area. I decided to grab my camera and stay out for a while. The sun rays were slanting in through the trees from the eastern sky.
Mush of spring beauty must be appreciated at ground level, as with these violets. They are coming into bloom and they remind me of my mother, who's name is Violet. Western Red Currant is one of the natives we encourage in the garden.
I love the bright chartreuse of euphorbia. Tom worked on cutting back the sword ferns yesterday and is almost finished. We have lots of them and it's a big job, but it really makes a difference later on, as the old fronds go brown. In the wild you will see them with their brown skirts. They must be cut back before the new fronds start to unfurl, which will be early this year.
Pulmonarias come in many colors, and are one of the first plants to bloom in spring.
There are many wonderful new hybridized hellebores, but this old one is still one of my favorites. Known as Lenten Rose, they are an old garden flower. The start for this one came from Tom's boyhood home in Puyallup.
Moss covers the brick path to the secret garden.
The mouse plant is blooming! You have to get way down and dig into the foliage to find the blooms with their brownish bodies and long tails.
The camellias took a beating in last week's rain, but a few persist.
This old rhodie blooms right by the front door. It's a scraggly old thing and each year we say we should take it out, except when it once again blooms.
The Daphne Odora was hit hard in the December freeze, but it is blooming heavily along the front walk, and the fragrance is heavenly. The leaves will regrow. It's a survivor.
The buds on the full moon maple are swelling against the blue sky.
Tulip buds are emerging.
The Camellia came from a cutting from a bush that grew on the little Oregon farm where I grew up.
I love the blue of grape hyacinths, which are just beginning to open.
So is the bleeding heart.
And this clump of trilliums is going strong, while others aren't even up yet.
This Camilla was from a cutting from our next door neighbors plant.
The hosta are emerging.
And back in the house, that funky little silverware vase is perfect for a little mouse flower.
Happy Springing Ahead, everyone!
Oh, except Arizona and Hawaii, that is. And Good Day to you too.

13 comments:

  1. Well worth staying out for! What lovely shots of your beautiful yard and garden! Love all the colors and the GREEN! Have a great day!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, you have an absolutely stunning garden back there, and down south in Oregon you are a little ahead of us up here near the Canadian border. Our buds are out, flowering fruit trees in stunning display, and daffodils everywhere. Thank you for taking me along on our walk this morning...

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great garden you have and blooms in abundance...enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Linda, what a different person you are when you've had some time in you yard. It obviously does wonders for you.

    My Japanese daughter-in-law told me one time, when I was in Japan, that she did not like Camellias because they were sad flowers, never raising their faces.

    As always the pictures are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I come live in your garden? It's so beautiful and my yard is so... NOT beautiful. I have yard envy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How truly wonderful Linda, your garden is so beautiful as are all the photos you have shared today. Thank you for brightening my Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking fantastic! I will be so happy to see buds on the trees! I planted some container bulbs which were wintering on the front porch, and we are very close to finding out what colors are going to bloom!
    Your garden[s] should be in 'Better Homes and Gardens'!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your yard is wonderful and way ahead of ours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't it wonderful to stroll through the garden and see who is waking up? The wisteria and clematis are in bud and I am anxious for them to bloom. The peonies are starting to push through the mulch. I love spring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely garden, lovely photos! Care to work in my backyard?

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have a beautiful yard. I can appreciate all the hard work and time that goes into it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. I am so very anxious for spring to arrive here in Maine after feasting my eyes on your beautiful gardens. I especially like the fact that you have blooms from cuttings from your former homes, how wonderful! I did enjoy exploring the beauty in your yard.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love, LOVE this! We'll be experiencing spring for real in Japan in another week.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.