Monday, March 1, 2010

Running Away For The Day

We needed to get back to Whidbey Island on a sunny dry day, first to finish up some gardening chores, and then to just enjoy a warm day at the beach. With a forecast for 60 degrees we knew that this was the day. We stopped first at Jake's house in Seattle to deliver a pot full of primroses for his front porch. We do try to beautify his life now and then. Heading north, we had only a short wait for the next ferry at the Mukilteo crossing. The clouds were thin and high, so the mountains were out. At the beach garden the daffodils we planted last fall had burst into bloom. We had some competition from the action across the road, where the new cabins were getting their septic systems installed. They did stop during our lunch break on the deck. It was so quiet and peaceful.
With the work done, we walked over to the beach. We checked out the driftwood
and the shells,
and the wild life. This immature eagle was also enjoying the beach.
Gulls, terns, and crows added their "music" to the scene. The tide was partially out, and with no wind, the water was still.
Across the channel I saw this heron acting strangely, in a pose I'd never seen before.
Then I noticed there were two herons, who were apparently having a face off. It is that time of the year. Slowly the second heron turned and sauntered away, until, after a safe distance, it took flight.
(Click in photo to see these guys all puffed up.)
It is hard to capture in words or photos the scene, the quiet, the serenity, with only the crunch of the sand under foot, an occasional far off plane engine, the fluttery song of the rafts of birds on the bay, occasionally interrupted by the thrashing of wings and water, as a group of surf scoters took flight and then landed again.
Back at the cabin we sat in the sun and talked a bit, and then went for a walk on the dike, along the lagoon.
Again the quiet was punctuated only by the occasional bird song or duck quack. The wild cherry tree was in glorious bloom.
We returned home in the late afternoon, beating the traffic. I'm feeling very lazy. Tomorrow we'll get back to our to-do lists, but for today, it was great to have a day off. That includes not cooking. We're off for a burger.

10 comments:

  1. Simply beautiful. Even in Hawaii, which can get pretty rural outside Honolulu where I live, it's hard to see nature like you see on your island. I guess I am just a city girl at heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your comments about the herons interesting. At the wetlands they have a new exhibit, a blue heron that was stabbed one time by another heron in a fight, killing the one on display. This happened recently at the home of a wetlands employee that lives on the water. It's apparently extremely rare for herons to do this.

    Glad you had a nice day playing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paradise!!!

    I am off to visit my Mother on whidbey. We will probably go to Double Bluff---rain or shine.

    I chuckled when you said the mountains were out. I said that once in a post and got a reply from a fellow in New York. He said it brought back memories from his chilhood because his parents in Bothell used to say that.

    I would suppose because of many overcast days we all get exited when the mountains are 'out'. Too funny. MB

    ReplyDelete
  4. This brings back many great memories of our trip to Whidbey. From catching the ferries - fantastic - to walking on the beach and looking at the driftwood. Thanks Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am surprised that you ever come back to the Seattle house, it is so lovely on the island. Then I remember your beautiful garden and understand. I'm torn between the cabin and my garden in Lincoln.

    I've never seen a heron behave that way. The hawks I do see doing their mating flights.

    ReplyDelete
  6. An enjoyable blog Linda. Very restful and natural. - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love it, just love it, Linda. It's been just a year since we were in your area and we can never forget the glorious spring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how I enjoyed my "walk" with you! What lovely scenery. I loved the daffodils, the driftwood and shells and the herons were amazing! I've never seen a heron do such a thing. I could just sit on your porch all day long!! Thanks for brightening my day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Life is good. And beautiful. The ocean, the birds, flowers, etc.
    Glad you got a day off!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.