Saturday, March 27, 2010

On the Oregon Coast

Surprise! I'm here already. Our motel in Manzanita doesn't have WiFi, but I'm "borrowing" a signal from the fancy inn across the street. The weather cleared as we reached Astoria and drove south on Hwy 101. We always stop at the overlook on Neakanie Mountain. We got settled in to our motel in Manzanita in the late afternoon and checked out the beach a block away. That's Neakanie Mountain in the background, from where we had our view. Now we are on the beach below. Our motel is a block up from "Ocean" on Laneda, the main street of this little village. No danger of tsunamis today. This morning was dry and sunny, and we began our day with a beach walk. Suddenly an eagle swooped over us, with a bird flopping from it's talons. I seemed to be an unwieldy load, and it landed ahead of us on the beach. As we approached it lifted off, slowly, and took its prey to a tree. Our purpose for this trip was to attend a family meeting at the little red cabin in Rockaway. It's time for major maintenance and decisions needed to be made. The weather was warm for March at the coast, and we enjoyed some time on the beach. Here I am with my mother and two sisters. My brother and his family have the cabin this week for spring break. We'll be heading south tomorrow to Newport.

10 comments:

  1. It's always nice to get away from the old routine and spend time with family in different surroundings! Enjoyed your pics, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice photos Linda. Enjoy time with your family - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. the oregon coast is lovely but usually cold and windy but that's oregon for you. love it! especially in our hot summers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely header photo. I enjoyed the photos, especially of the eagle. The area is pretty indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Oregon Coast. We spent our honeymoon there and have returned many times. Gorgeous photos! I'll be off line for awhile
    (doing some travelling myself), so Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I got to see pictures of the Oregon Coast I haven't seen. I'll get my map out in a little bit and see if I can follow your trail.

    I hope your family made peaceful decisions about repairs to the little red cabin. Sometimes families have a hard time working together.

    The eagles seem to be very active right now. We had a nasty eagle fight this week at the wetlands where I volunteer.

    Keep posting. I love seeing your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, i just LOVE that first picture of the waves crashing on the beach. Nice views, and thanks for the picture of you and your family, it's great to see them. And Happy Palm Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pictures! I hope you enjoy your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah! The little red cabin! I'm there in spirit!
    Your spring flowers are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.