Thursday, January 19, 2012

ICE STORM!

We knew it might be coming, but reality bites.


Freezing rain has hit all of western Washington State, coating everything with ice.


I put on my cold weather gear, grabbed a walking stick and tried to get out to see if we had a newspaper today.  None came yesterday with the snow.  And of course I took a camera.






 It was hard to walk in the ice coated snow, but when I got to the street and put out one foot, I knew there was no way I was making it across without ice crampons.
 As I was contemplating this move, the neighborhood began so resound with the cracking of trees and the crashes as large limbs came rushing down.




 Sure, it's beautiful, but so dangerous.  And it may be just a matter of minutes before we lose power.  In an ice storm in December 1996, a night I refer to as the night of screaming trees, we were out of power for four long days.  And then we had a month of clean up in the yard.

It will be an indoor day, staying away from under trees, hoping the power doesn't go out.

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures. We didn't get that much ice this morning and now we are getting snow.
    Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a mess isn't it!! but beautiful! It's still snowing quite hard on my side of town and they say it will continue until sometime this afternoon. Lovely view from the 5th floor -- as long as you don't run out of groceries! Stay warm!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again beautiful pictures. Thanks for the information about the camera. I am thinking about getting it. I have some projects this months for might have to wait till next month. Thanks again for the information.
    I had a Canon Sure Shot years ago and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, looks cold but it's suppose to warm up. I definitely would stay away from icy streets and power lines. Stock up on firewood. Take care. We have two daughters living up there in Olympia and Redmond.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes it does make for some lovely pictures but oh dear, when I saw on the news last night I was wondering about you. Glad you decided not to venture too far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are in a mess. We have hard rain but no snow or ice. Our little dog is afraid of the rain so he was hesitant to do his thing and came back in soaked to the skin. I've been sitting in a chair holding him, wrapped in a towel, while he shivered. This kind of weather is hard on man and beast. Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! These are spectacular photos, Linda! We didn't get these ice storms thaaaat often in Illinois, but I loved taking photos of everthing coated in ice. The kids liked to slide on it. It was really dangerous for the older people though. I hope everything stays safe in your area and that you don't get any power outage. I hope you get to take more photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Getting around on ice...I am very careful and I hope you are, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't slide on the ice. Ow-eeee!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. As usual, your pictures are works of art.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Freezing rain is as bad as it gets weather-wise. At least it doesn't last too long in Western WA. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The photos are awesome. I love the berries with icing! Do Be Careful. I don't want you to fall. Take it from me; you don't want to fall. I hope your power has stayed on all day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We missed this storm and I am disappointed. Your photos are as close as I'm going to get, I guess. Thanks for posting them.

    By the time we get home from Arizona on Monday everything will be dreary and wet again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are amazing pictures. I'm glad you went inside to wait out the storm, it is dangerous to be walking around with so many trees just (as you said) screaming with pain! We missed the ice storm but it's still pretty cold. Walking around in mid-twenties should be balmy after two days of weather in the teens, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.