Thursday, July 24, 2014

Cooking

Among the list of things I said you should picture me doing this week as I was posting photos of gardens visited last weekend was cooking.  Yep, I've done some of that too.

Monday, along with doing the house work, in keeping with the goal of keeping up with the zucchini, I made two loaves of zucchini bread, which now reside in the freezer.

On Tuesday, along with weeding in Jill's yard and holding ladders, I made pozole again.  It is a rich broth from simmering pork shoulder steak in chicken stock, with added chopped green chilies, shredded cabbage, hominy and the shredded pork, garnished with pepper jack cheese, avocado and cilantro.  Yum. It was good Tuesday for dinner.....
 (Look, I'm even wearing my souvenir shirt from New Mexico, where I learned to love pozole.)

....and good again for dinner on Wednesday, when we had our first rain in months.

Wednesday was also a good day for cooking.  I made an apple pie with apples from our little espaliered transparent apple tree.
Transparent apples always come on early. but this year they were even earlier, and then we had some high winds over the weekend which blew most of them off the tree.  I salvaged most of the windfalls, made the pie with the best of them and made applesauce out of the rest of them.
 Many of the apples were small, so I just quartered them, removed the seeds and part of the core, cooked them down and then put them through the food mill.  Much easier that the peeling I did for the pie.


Three quarts will go into the freezer and the other will go with us to Whidbey Island Thursday, along with the pie and a loaf of zucchini bread.
Jill and the kids are at the Whidbey cabin this week with Jill's in-laws, the kids other grandparents, who are here visiting from Colorado.  We will go up for the day to see John and Andrea and take goodies with us.

Now picture us riding the ferry boat.

11 comments:

  1. Oh, yummy! That's one thing I can't do well.....cook. I like to bake, though, and zucchini bread is one of my favorites! It freezes so well. Sometimes I'd grate carrots and add them in. Mmmmm, I'm going to have to get some zucchini, I see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're in the "too much zucchini" phase of the year. I love zucchini bread but don't eat sugar. Would love a recipe without it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cooking up a storm is what you have been doing! Everything looks very yummy.

    Linda, what is your recipe for pozole? It sounds so good. My husband has never liked the recipes I have used that I found in various southwest cookbooks. He loves pozole. I like it too. I am guessing you just took the pork shoulder and simmered it with the chicken stock and added the other ingredients. I may try doing just this and see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all looks good, but that apple pie got my mouth watering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now you have me curious and I will have to Google Transparent apples.
    They sure make a pretty pie.
    You really do eat well and healthy. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. would love your posole recipe-sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good idea about not peeling the apples for apple sauce. I peel mine and by the time I'm finished with all the tiny apples they've turned brown. You learn something new everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pie looks wonderful! I have never tried pazole..or avocado for that matter. Not sure I would like it:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you were really productive in the kitchen! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you were really productive in the kitchen! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love looking at your food photos. Always a winner!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.