Friday, July 25, 2014

Pozole Recipe for Those Who Asked

I cut and pasted this from a February post.  Apparently the blue highlighting isn't going away. But here it is.


We were introduced to Pozole when we were in New Mexico two years ago and really liked it.  It is a pork and hominy stew.  I looked at a few recipes and then came up with my own version and tried it out last fall.  We have had it several times since.



 Here's my version: 
                Pozole
1 large, thick cut pork shoulder steak
1/2 yellow onion diced
1 quart chicken stock
1 29oz can Mexican Hominy
1 small can diced green chilies
2 cups shredded cabbage
Avacado slices
shredded Jack cheese
chopped fresh cilantro

Brown the pork steak in a heavy bottom soup pot. Remove pork, add the onion to the pot and cook, using a bit of stock to deglaze the pan.  Return the pork to the pot, add the chicken stock, bring to a simmer, cover and cook 2 hours.

Remove the pork to cool.  Shred the pork, discarding fat and bone.

Add the hominy and chilies to the stock.  Add more chicken stock if needed.  Bring to a low boil.  Add the cabbage and cook about five minutes.  Add the pork and heat through.

Serve in large soup bowls.  Garnish with shredded cheese, avocado and cilantro. Squeeze a wedge of lime over the top.

I served mine with some orange slices and hot corn bread with butter and honey.


3 comments:

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.