Wednesday, July 23, 2014

The Hawkins/Ness Garden

From the street, this semi-rural garden looks like a lovely park.


 Tom and I have been here before, but not other members of our group, Cheryl, Janet, and Vicky.  I started them off in the less dramatic part of the garden, saving the best for last.

 Wander farther back and you may think it's a farm.  These are very lucky chickens to have such a home to roam.

But then round around to the back of the house and water takes over. Two massive Koi ponds and waterfalls, operated by a bio-filtration system, dominate the space, surrounded by lush plantings, patios, bridges and a gazebo. 





















 But there's more!  Joyce Hawkins is an artisan, creating concrete art for the garden, and she has a studio and shop, where we shopped!
 I loved the log slab wood on the interior walls!  Several of our members bought molded concrete leaves. 
But I went bigger, for the faux bois, or "false wood" planters.  Yep, that one below in the front left came home with me, my birthday present to myself. 
And here it is, holding a beautiful red begonia that my brother and sister-in-law gave me for my birthday, perched on the patio bench where I can see it from my kitchen window.  I love it!






And while I missed this guy on the way in, there he was near our 
car to bid us so long. Don't you just love clever stuff like this?


9 comments:

  1. I've seen Joyce's garden a couple of times too, and it's just fabulous! Thanks for sharing your photos of it, I hope your companions liked it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure do! That is a beautiful planter, a perfect gift for you for your big birthday, as well as a lovely begonia. Love the garden, it's really magical. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've really appreciated being able to visit these beautiful gardens with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice place. I do like your 'faux bois'. Cute. MB

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great planter! I haven't seen this garden before but will definitely look for it in the NPA book next year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems the very wee hours of the morning are best to view all of your photos. I don't get the empty boxes where your photos are supposed to be. Maybe, it's due to cable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Love the koi pond and the Japanese Garden especially.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so much fun, Linda. I love seeing your garden photos. I'm not back yet but just had to stop by for a peak. My family has just decided to stay an extra week so my hiatus is lasting longer than I planned.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.