Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Preparations

There will be a party here tomorrow!

Tomorrow, July 17th, is my 70th birthday.  I'm throwing myself a party.

In the afternoon friends will come for a garden party.  There will be tea and goodies and visiting and garden touring.  Later in the afternoon family will arrive and stay into the evening for a BBQ/potluck dinner.  There will be cake.

It has been a long time since we had a party in our garden.  We used to have them every year, end of the school year staff parties, and some family events too.  I decided it was time to have another one.  Preparations have been going on in my head for a long time now, but this week it was time for the real thing.  

I made lists, and then broke the lists down into daily tasks.
Monday we cleaned the house and then I assembled serving pieces for the garden party.  


 Tuesday we cleaned the garden.  All the edges are crisp and everything is snipped and clipped and swept and groomed. Then we went grocery shopping.
Today I made more food, a cake, potato salad for the dinner, and other stuff to go along with the goodies already made and in the freezer.

Tom moved tables around outside and cleaned up the patio.  We are trying to study the shade patterns.  It was 87 again today.  We are hoping for a bit cooler tomorrow.

Then the party rental truck came and delivered umbrella tables, chairs, and teacups.



There will be at least two more trips to the grocery store, and a busy morning tomorrow, and then about 1:00 I hope to be greeting guests in my garden.  

I will try to remember to take photos and have someone else assigned to take them when I can't, or so I can be in them! Tom and Jill and the kids will be my event staff.

Planning is done, prep is good so far.  Now I just have to pull it all off and remember to have fun!

16 comments:

  1. What could be more fitting than Linda Letters having a garden party for her 70th birthday! Many best wishes for a great day, and congratulations for joining in the eighth decade with me! Everything looks fantastic, and I'm glad you've got event planners to help. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to be super dooper organized to pull this off. It's a lot of work but very rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you should definitely have fun at your own birthday party! Happy Birthday Linda! 70 is quite a milestone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is already the 17th here in Mumbai, India. Let me be the first to wish you Many Happy Returns of the Day ! Have a great garden party !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! I hope you have a wonderful day...your table of glassware looks lovely:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great birthday this will be. Looks lovely and wish I could come. Actually, guess I should write that I wish I had been invited...;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful! Hope everything follows according to plan. Yes, take photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Looks like it'll be a beautiful party with all details attended to. Have a lovely time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday!

    I just went to a 70th birthday/garden party last month. Your setting is so delightful--perfect for a party. I can imagine how much fun it will be. Enjoy!

    I absolutely love the garden header you have now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. happy birthday, what a wonderful place and idea for a party-enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday, Linda. Have a wonderful day! Warm regards from Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seems like someone should be doing all the work for you for your birthday. I would love doing it as well, and you certainly have it well enough organized to have fun at your party. Looks so inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your house and garden looks wonderful! Happy 70th! What a lovely idea. Reminds me of a quote from an old movie, "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" played by Debbie Reynolds. She was awed when her new neighbor *gave a party when her roses bloomed*...

    Have a wonderful day and do post pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday. Oh to be 70 again:))
    Have a great day and year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday! I hope you have a wonderful day! Your table and your garden are gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope you had a wonderful party today - Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.