Thursday, July 3, 2014

Getting Ready To Celebrate

I baked pies today, cherry and berry.
Then Irene claimed the leftover pie dough, we went out to the patch and picked some raspberries, and made this rustic pie.
We have to save the two pies to take to the Fourth of July party tomorrow at my sister-in-law's house, but we get to eat the raspberry pie today!

Then I made the potato salad for tomorrow.
After all of the cooking and the cleaning up after the cooking, I went out to the garden to finish picking the crops.
While I was doing all of this, Tom washed the windows!  What a guy.  We have long range lists as well as short range lists around here. And Irene spent time with me, and time on screens and time writing and making things.  

I'm using my down time to get this posted before I get busy cooking dinner.  The sun never broke through the clouds much today, but it's about 70 and calm and quiet around here, a very pleasant summer day.  Fireworks are prohibited here, so while people will no doubt ignore the law tomorrow, it is peaceful today.

Tomorrow we'll go to a little neighborhood parade, and then later join with family and friends to eat and visit and play and watch a fireworks show, all the traditional elements of a summer celebration of our nation's birthday.

Wishing you all a happy Fourth of July, with just as much fun and celebrating and tradition as you desire.  Happy Birthday to the USA!

14 comments:

  1. Happy Fourth to you and yours, Linda. I will go on a special walk and potluck with my Fairhaven walking friends, and then read a book or two that I've got here at home, putter in the garden, and just basically enjoy the beautiful weather! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Fourth of July! I'm wondering -- where do you go to see fireworks? It's been a while since I saw a fireworks show on the Fourth of July, I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! Is there anything you can't do? I have never made a pie as delicious looking as either one of yours including Irene's rustic pie. Happy Fourth of July!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you are ready for a great celebration. It is quiet here. Fireworks are banned in the city limits. I'm so grateful for that. This means we don't have loud fireworks going on for hours on end until after midnight like we used to have in our old neighborhood.

    We are planning on going over to my cousin's house for dinner with a few family member and friends. We will watch the fireworks over the Garden of the Gods at her house. It should be a great celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And a Happy Fourth of July to you! Enjoy the celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds as though Irene is going to follow in your footsteps in the keeping busy department and good for her. You are blessed to have such bountiful fruits to your labors and to be so connected with family. We will watch fireworks from the beach tomorrow--a new experience for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a great 4th, what delicious and beautiful pies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a perfect day. We just ate our last piece of raspberry pie last night. I now have a raspberry/vanilla cake made with the leftovers from raspberry jam that hubby made! Too many calories this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a delicious day in store. Have a great 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what yummy looking pies...happy fourth of july!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those pies look great. Happy 4th of July, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy 4th! Those pies look great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't get over all your raspberries. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments. Since I link most posts to Facebook, you may comment there if you do not have an account. I have eliminated Anonymous comments due to spammers.